Abbreviation is the short form of a word or phrase to be used to represent the full form. Abbreviations letter or group of letters used in writing, printing, and speech to represent a word or phrase in shortened form. Abbreviations are used to save space and time. The most common are arbitrary signs or initial letters for the words themselves.
Shortened word forms have been in use since antiquity, and many current abbreviations have come from Latin. Most of the arts and sciences use symbols as abbreviations; they are universally understood.
Page contents at a glance
- 1 Why we use Abbreviations?
- 1.1 Various kinds of Abbreviation:
- 1.2 Some Important Abbreviations for all students specially for BCS and Admission test.
- 1.3 Some Common abbreviation list
Why we use Abbreviations?
1. Abbreviation is use in the development of the proliferation of new products and organizations that need to be named. Long descriptive terms can be shortened into mnemonic units. This is especially noticeable in Internet communication, particularly with e-mails, where a huge number of abbreviated forms came into use during the 1990s.
2. A major factor in the trend toward abbreviation is that of economy. In telegraphy, for example, as well as in computerized communications, the extra time, space, and materials required for rendering long words and phrases is an important concern.
3. The need for speed in shorthand and the desire to avoid redundancy in codes makes abbreviation an important element in stenography and cryptography as well.
4. Truncation is especially common in popular speech, as, for example, “the Met” for “the Metropolitan Museum of Art” or “the Metropolitan Opera Association.” At the end of the 1990s, the restricted space of mobile phone screens and the awkwardness of typing on a numerical keypad resulted in a new and highly truncated variety of language, as people began sending text messages with increasing frequency. A new set of abbreviations, often using first letters of the words in a colloquial phrase (as BTW for “by the way”) or using numbers to stand for sounds (as L8R for “later”) were combined with this truncation (as “sup” for “What’s up?”).
Various kinds of Abbreviation:
There are four main kinds of abbreviations:
1. Shortenings Abbreviation,
2. Contractions Abbreviation,
3. Initialisms Abbreviation,
4. Acronyms Abbreviation,
Shortenings of words consist of the first few letters of the full form and are usually spelled with a final period when they are still regarded as abbreviations,
As – Adj. = Adjective, in = inch, Ind = Indefinite.
Contractions are abbreviated forms in which letters from the middle of the full form have been omitted,
Example:- Adv. = Advocate, Dr. = doctor,
In this forms are invariably followed by a period. On the other hand Another kind of contraction is the type with an apostrophe marking the omission of letters:
can’t = cannot, didn’t = did not, you’ve = you have.
Initialisms are made up of the initial letters of words and are pronounced as separate letters. Remember that when the initialism consists entirely of capital letters.
As: ICC (or I.C.C.), pm (or p.m.), U.S.A. (or USA).
Acronyms are initialisms that have become words in their own right, or similar words formed from parts of several words. They are pronounced as words rather than as a series of letters, and do not have periods. The acronym becomes the standard term and the full form is only used in explanatory contexts.
As: AIDS, UNESCO, UNDP,
Most common abbreviation which is use for writing sms:
SMS = Short Massage Service, MMS = Multimedia Massage Service, Gr8 = Great, u = you, r = are, pls = Please, f9 = fine, bro = brother, N8 = Night, Thx = Thanks, No: = Number, Mob = Mobile, Tel = Telephone, L = Love, 2 = To, 4r = for, ur = your
Some Important Abbreviations for all students specially for BCS and Admission test.
Some Common abbreviation list
Abbreviation list – A
- ADB = Asian Development Bank
- ABC = Assistant for Blind Children
- ADB = African Development Bank
- ADF = Asian Development Fund
- AFRC = Armed Force Revolutionary Council
- AFTA = Asian Free Trade Area
- AIBD = Asian Institute of Broadcasting Development
- AID = Agency for International and Development
- AIDS = Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome
- AIT = Asian Institute of Technology
- AJKMC = All Jammu and Kashmir Muslim Conference
- AM = Ante Meridiem, (before noon)
- AMF = Arab Monetary Fund
- ANC = African National Congress
- ANZUS = Australia, New Zealand, United States Security Treaty
- AOC = Army Ordinance Corps
- AOD = Army Ordinance Depot
- APA = Associated Press of America
- APEC = Asia=Pacific Economic Cooperation
- APP = Associated Press of Pakistan
- ARCA = Associate of the Royal College of Art
- ARCS = Associate of the Royal College of Science
- ARP = Air Raid Precaution
- ASC = African Socialist Council
- ASC = Army Service Corps
- ASC = Administrative Staff College
- ASEAN = Association of Southeast Asian Nations
- ASPAC = Asian and Pacific Council
- ADAB = Association of Development Agencies in Bangladesh
- ADC = Additional Deputy Commissioner
- ADP = Annual Development Plan, Annual Development Programme
- AEC = Army Education Crops
- AFC = Asian Football Confederation
- AFESD = Arab Fund for Economic and Social Development
- AFP = Agency France Press
- AMIE = Associate Member of the Institute of Engineers
- APB = Associate Press of Bangladesh
- APL = Army Pathological Laboratory
- ATAB = Association of Travel Agencies of Bangladesh
- a (in dates) ante
- abbrev. = abbreviation (of)
- Abbrev. = abbreviation(s)
- Acc. = account(s)
- Accs. = accounts
- A.D. = Anno Domini
- Add. = addendum, addenda
- Addr. = address
- adj. = adjective, adjectival
- adj. phr. = adjectival phrase
- adv. = adverb, adverbial(ly)
- Adv. = advocate Advancem, advancement(s)
- alt. = alteration
- Anal. = analysis
- Anat. = anatomy, anatomical
- Anc. = ancient
- aphet. = aphetic, aphetized
- Apol. = apology, apologies
- Apr. = April
- Arch. = architecture
- Archaeol. = archaeology, archaeological
- Archit. = architecture, architectural
- Arith. = arithmetic
- Astr. = astronomy
- Astrol. = astrology
- Aug. = August
- Auth. author(s)
- A.V. = Authorized Version
Read more Abbreviation
Click on a letter to see the abbreviations beginning with that letter.