To say some thing about physical education or to define it first we need to know what education is.
Page contents at a glance
What is Physical Education?
Physical means relating to someone’s body rather than their mind or emotions and Education means a process of teaching, training and learning, especially in schools, colleges or University’s to improve knowledge and develop skills. PE the abbreviation for ‘physical education’ So Physical Education is the sport and exercise that is taught usually in schools or colleges.
Physical education is an integral part of total education process. Without physical education, education remains incomplete. It is also defined that education is the harmonious development of body mind and soul.
A few relevant definitions of education and social education will help you to understand –
* According to Plato– “Education helps in the body and soul of the pupil all the beauty and all the perfection he is capable of.”
* Hop smith and Clifton says – Physical education refers to scientific and systematic movement of limbs.
* Another scholar defines thus – “education is the creation of a sound mind in a sound body”
* According to Charles A Bucher, “physical education is an integral part of the total education process and its air the development of physically mentally emotionally and socially fit citizens, the medium of physical activities which have been selected with a view to realizing their outcomes”.
* D.K. Mathews says “Physical education is the education which is acquired through physical activities”.
* According to J.B. Nash– Physical education is that of the whole field of education that deals with big muscle activities and their related responses that bring changes in an individual’s body and personality.
From these above definitions it is clear that education and physical education are complementary to each other. And it is found that the essence of physical education is all round development of an individual’s personality. As a result one becomes physical fit, mentally sound, emotionally balanced, socially adjusted, morally true and spiritually up-lifted. All this out comes are achieved by means of recreational activities games and sports.